Friday, March 21, 2008

IDIOMS WITH COLOURS (white)

1. a white-collar worker = non-manual worker. (The opposite is a blue-collar worker)
2. as white as a sheet = very pale, as a result of fear or shock.
She went as white as a sheet when I told her the news.
3. as white as snow = very white.
That old man had his hair as white as snow.
4. a white lie = harmless or trivial lie.
5. a white elephant = possession that is useless and often expensive to maintain.

Exercise Choose the right answer.

1. I'm sorry, what I told you was.....Please forgive me, but I had to invent something!
as white as snow / a white lie / a white elephant .

2. Are you OK? You are.....
a white elephant / a white-collar worker / as white as a sheet.

3. Peter works in an office, he's.....
as white as a sheet / a white-collar worker / a white elephant.

4. After painting the walls, I can assure you that they look.....
a white elephant / a white lie / as white as snow.

5. I told him a thousand times to get rid of that expensive car that he doesn't even use. He doesn't realize that it's...
a white lie / a white elephant / as white as snow .

No comments: