Friday, March 21, 2008

IDIOMS WITH NUMBERS (one)

1. at one time = en el pasado, en un momento dado
2. back to square one = de nuevo en el comienzo
3. for one thing = principalmente
4. one and the same = exactamente el mismo
5. one fine day = algún día
6. one for the road = una para el camino (cuando se toma una copa más antes de salir)
7. one in a thousand = uno en mil
8. one in a million = uno en un millón
9. one of these days = uno día de estos, pronto
10. one too many = demasiado
11. the one and only = el único
12. to pull a fast one on somebody = engañar a alguien

Exercise Choose the right answer.

1. I can't stand it any longer, I think that.....I will move to a new house!
one too many / for one thing / one of these days

2. I don't like him. He's bad-tempered.....do you want more?
one in a million / for one thing /one too many.

3. OK. I think that we will have to go.....and try again.
back to square one / one too many / one and the same

4. One job less in this small company is really.....
one too many / the one and only / one for the road.

5. This beer is great, just let me get.....before I leave.
one with somebody / one for the road / one over the eight

6. The company was.....with the government on the plan to abandon free trade.
one in a million / at one /one and the same

7. I even tried.....and only magic trick I know, but the kids didn't like it.
one too many / one and the same / the one

8. The children realized that Santa Claus and Grandpa were.....
one over the eight / one too many / one and the same.

No comments: