Friday, March 21, 2008

IDIOMS WITH PARTS OF THE BODY (heart)

1. to have the heart to do something = be unfeeling enough to do something.
I hadn't the heart to refuse.
2. to have one's heart in one's mouth = be badly frightened.
I was alone and when the lights went out, I had my heart in my mouth!
3. to do something to one's heart's content = do something as much as one wishes.
There will be lots of food, so you'll be able to eat to your heart's content.
4. to learn/know something by heart = from memory.
He knows the poem by heart.
5. to lose heart = become discouraged.
She had so many job refusals that she's beginning to lose heart.
6. to set one's heart on something = want something very much.
She had set her heart on becoming a pathologist.
7. at heart = in one's real nature.
I'm a teacher at heart.
8. from the bottom of one's heart = sincerely.
This advice comes from the bottom of my heart.
9. after one's own heart = exactly the type one likes best.
He likes good wine too, he's obviously a man after my own heart.
10. a heart of gold = a very kind nature.
He looks bad-tempered but really he's got a heart of gold.
11. a heart of stone = a pitiless and unfeeling nature.
He doesn't care about others, he's got a heart of stone.

Exercise Choose the right answer.

1. Please believe me, this suggestion comes...
from the bottom of my heart / after my own heart / to my heart's content.

3. After so many days of telephoning Alex, she knew his number...
to heart / by heart / at heart.

4. His father bought him the computer he had...
lost heart / set his heart on / at heart.

5. The dog can run..........out here in the park.
from the bottom of its heart / after its own heart / to its heart's content

6. She's such a bad friend, she really has...
a heart of gold / her heart in her mouth / a heart of stone.

7. You will have other chances to pass the entry exam, don't...
learn by heart / lose heart / have your heart in your mouth.

No comments: