Friday, March 21, 2008

IDIOMS WITH PARTS OF THE BODY (ears)

1. to be all ears = listen with attention and interest. He was all ears when I told him I had free tickets for the cinema.
2. to be out on one's ear = be forced to leave a place because something wrong has been done. You should work harder or you'll be out on your ear.
3. to be up to my ears (in something) = be extremely busy.I'm sorry I didn't call you yesterday, but I was up to my ears in work.
4. to turn a deaf ear to something = ignore something unwelcome, like criticism or complaints.
I told him not to park there but he just turned a deaf ear to it.
5. to close/shut your ears to something = refuse to listen to bad or unpleasant news.
Please, listen to him, don't shut you ears to his warning.
6. to go in, one ear and out, the other = to forget something almost immediately after hearing it.
I don't know why I tell her. It just goes in one ear and out the other.
7. to play by ear = play an instrument from memory.
8. to keep one's ears open = to listen in order to find out what is happening.
Please keep your ears open for anything unusual.
9. to have something coming out of one's ears = have too much of something.
At this time of year, shops have Christmas lightings coming out of their ears.

Exercise Choose the right answer.

1. Thomas doesn't need to read the music, he just...
turns a deaf ear / keeps his ears open / plays by ear.

2. When the director spoke to Elaine, she was...
a deaf ear / all ears / playing by ear.

3. For Halloween, every place has pumpkins...
turning a deaf ear / coming out of their ears / playing by ear.

4. I think I heard something in the kitchen. Please go down and...
keep your ears open / close your ears to it / turn a deaf ear to it.

5. Cristina would never listen to me. Everything I say...
goes in one ear and out the other / is up to his ears / keeps his ears open.

6. Mark had a lot of work yesterday, he was really...
out on his ear / up to his ears / all ears.

No comments: